Ooooh boy, this is a good one! You already knew I loved chili if you’ve seen my vegetarian chili recipe from back in June. This version is a spicy chili with ground turkey and whole wheat noodles – a complete, boyfriend-friendly meal in a bowl. Sooooo yum.
But before we get to the chili, here are 4 recent reasons I am a huge nerd:
1) Uhh… Brandon and I *might* be watching Battlestar Galactica on Netflix (the newer TV series). If I didn’t like it so much, I might care more about how nerdy it is. Seriously, if you liked LOST or any futuristic/fantasy-ish shows with lots of characters, give it a try. You don’t have to tell anyone you like it
2) I am obsessed with my iPhone. More specifically – obsessed with annoying B by using Siri (the voice-activated “personal assistant”) to schedule appointments and reminders and OBSESSED with the game Cut-the-Rope. If you have a smartphone, you must try. And how cute?!?
3) We had a good laugh last week about the number of laptops that lie around our apartment like it’s NBD. Between each of our personal laptops that we use for various things (blogging, streaming video to the TV, etc.) and each of our work computers, it can get kind of out of control:
I immediately had to clean off my computer screen after taking this picture. Fingerprints – yuck.
4) I made it all the way to and from work in the Minneapolis Skyway, made it from work to the downtown Target in the Skyway, and even took the bus to work twice this week (I get intimidated by public transportation because my sense of direction is soooo bad). Wouldn’t normally be that nerdy.. except that I get SO excited when I don’t get lost that it kinda makes me a nerd.
Okay – you already knew I was a dork. Here’s the recipe:
Spicy Turkey Chili with Noodles
This chili mix is the love child of my favorite parts of vegetarian chili combined with B’s mom’s recipe for beef chili, plus elbow macaroni because noodles in chili are just delicious. Using whole wheat noodles actually works great because they stand up a little better to being steeped in simmering chili and the hearty texture works well for reheated leftovers, too. You will need:
1 package ground turkey (I used ~1.25 lb, and I try to buy the leanest that I feel like I can afford that week (ha), but usually not the leanest on the shelf either)
2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni (2 cups measured dry – cook until *just* al dente before adding to chili, about 8 minutes)
1 46 oz can tomato juice
1 can diced tomoes
1 can chili beans (I use HOT – you can also use plain black beans and add extra seasoning yourself)
1 can light red kidney beans
1/2 chopped white onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped red pepper
1) Cook turkey in skillet over medium heat. I season mine with Trader Joe’s 21 Spice Salute. While cooking, stir in onion, peppers. Cook until turkey is browned.
2) In large pot, combine all ingredients. Season with a generous sprinkle of crushed red pepper, ~1 tbsp chili powder, salt and pepper to taste, and a LARGE squeeze of hot sauce. We use sriracha sauce on EVERYTHING, but your favorite hot sauce is perfect.
3) Simmer until hot and bubbling – serve with a topping of cheese, Greek yogurt and/or avocado.
YUM. Only wish the picture did it justice.